jeudi 7 juillet 2011

Things & Places I love about London



I often find myself ambivalent about London - but when I am away, I miss the city a lot - its perpetual buzz, the ever-changing light and how the Big Ben sings in the dark.





1. Covent Garden - with the famous Monmouth Coffee around Seven Dials, the brand new Laduree tea-room in the piazza, Bougie macarons, Notes café and wine bar round the corner and Byron Hamburgers. And of course, the Royal Opera House.





2. Favourite Eateries -

Busaba Eathai for happy thai food
Koya for handmade udon with fresh veggie tempura
Wright Brothers for the taste of the sea
Yumchaa for a pot of tea, then Cha Cha Moon for amazing noodles
Lick for the best gelato in town





3. Bloomsbury - for my flat, uni, British Museum and my favourite dwelling ever - the London Review Bookshop (they have an excellent cafe where you can read books accompanied by a pot of Mariage Frères tea with rose and pistachio cake)






4. For a lovely stroll and a good look at the arts, go to the V&A, the Royal Academy, the National Gallery (they open until 9pm on Friday night!)

For an equally lovely stroll in the famous markets, go to the Pimlico Farmers Market (Saturdays), Borough Market (Thursdays to Saturdays), Brixton Market (filled with independent restaurants and stores, opens daily), Portobello Road Market (Saturdays), Spitalfield Market + Brick Lane (Sundays), Columbia Flower Market (for flowers! Sundays).



5. Favourite picnic spots - St James Park (eat with the pelicans!), Regent's Park (for the cherry blossom trees), Hampton Court Palace (Henry VIII's palace with a truly magnificent garden - they filmed the New World there)

For more posts on London, check out the London tag on the side!


x

27 commentaires:

Liz a dit…

this is such a lovely post! my lovely friend is moving over to london this saturday. she is a little nervous as expected but this is just the inspiration she needs to get excited.

this is her blog: http://yourlittlebean.blogspot.com/

xx

amy v / over&under a dit…

Yay! I'm a Northerner but I live in New Zealand (for the past 2yrs) now my boyfriend & I are coming to Europe next month. He's never been to England so I'm stoked to show him around but we only have 2 days in London, I'm anxious to cram everything in! Monmouth Coffee is already on my list <3

Joy a dit…

Oh man London seems fantastic. My friend is studying abroad at LSE so I hope I can visit her and go to all these places.

Dianne a dit…

Ahhh, this is such a beautiful view of London. I feel the same, sometimes London gets overwhelming and when I'm away all I can think about is being back. I'm not a native, I'm from New Zealand originally but can't imagine living anywhere else. I'm going to check out some of these spots, the bookshops sounds incredible. I love Bloomsbury, its a great area.

Thanks for sharing these!
xx Di
ICEFLOE

danica a dit…

your timing is impeccable. my boyfriend and i are currently thinking about a trip to london and compiling a list of things to see, do and eat. i completely trust your taste so i know you will point me in the right direction. thank you!

Valerie Enríquez a dit…

Great guide! I'm usually a fan of museums and parks, so I've seen a lot of nice places on here to check out :)

Maria a dit…

thanks for sharing :) x

Claire a dit…

I might be obsessed with your blog and tumblr!

I can never see London objectively or perhaps appreciate it as it should be, since I was born here and have spent most of my life so far here. But when I'm away for a long enough time I feel like I'm missing out on so much - yes the buzz and perhaps in other places there is less buzz, but when you're in London you think that amount is normal!

Liz a dit…

Bookmarking this post! My husband and I are moving to Amsterdam from Portland, OR this month and we will definitely be making our way over to London!!

Chuck a dit…

Some lovely places I have been, so many more to look forward to. Notes have been taken.

Unknown a dit…

Such pretty shops and photos, I've bookmarked them for my upcoming travels. Thank you!

http://www.designers-artists.com

sight a dit…

London always seems to me to be a bit of an unfriendly city, but your photos make it look beautiful.

Julia a dit…

london, not a city like it! xxx
julianaughton.com

SY a dit…

Looks like we both have a love-hate relationship with London, but like other commenters said, I can't imagine living anywhere else! Great list of places too :)

Unknown a dit…

I Love your post about London, moreover i will spend my vacation in London

Melwa a dit…

Wow, great photos. And you and me seem to feel kind of the same way about London, according to this post.

miss sophie a dit…

i didn't have enough time to explore london last summer...everything is so insanely expensive though. it makes nyc seem cheap by comparison!

sara. a dit…

oooh, i love KOYA.
i discovered it the last time i went to london. must be back soon.
i will bookmark this little guide of yours. thank you for sharing it.

Anonyme a dit…

love your post! i want to be in london now

Style Souk a dit…

This is such a beautiful ode to London...

I've lived in Pimlico - a ten minute walk from La Poule au Pot, pictured - for nearly a decade and seem to fall more in love with the city with each passing year.

Sarah x

http://stylesouk.wordpress.com

Unknown a dit…

I love your blog and I'm following it since a long time now!
I just have one address in London you MUST go to:
Ottolenghi (http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/)
I know that they have several addresses so check it out on their website. I live in Paris so every time I go to London, I go there and eat so many delicious things...I'm never dissappointed!
Hope you'll like it!
xxx Anne-Sophie

(my blog: www.mabarbeapapa.blogspot.com)

a m o u r e t t e a dit…

GORGEOUSness!

Hermine - Journal de jours a dit…

I never visited Londen before. But your pictures and addresses want me to go there !

Raquel Faria a dit…

Oh gorgeous photos! I'm living in Manchester right now I'm going to visit London for the first time in September. I guess all these places you love about London would be great places for me to explores aswell! :)

Manasi a dit…

Great list! I have my own favs but I'll be trying some of these out this weekend.
:)

The little world of fashion a dit…

London is a lovely city, thanks to share this list for my next trip in England... ;)
x

Sishi Semet a dit…

lovely insider scoop! :) i really wish that i could visit london one day. finger crossed. :)