jeudi 16 juin 2011

Cinematic Writing IV




'For having lived in Westminster - how many years now? over twenty, - one feels even in the midst of the traffic, or waking at night, Clarissa was positive, a particular hush, or solemnity; an indescribable pause; a suspense (but that might be her heart, affected, that said, by influenza) before Big Ben strikes. There! Out it boomed. First a warning, musical; the the hour, irrevocable. The leaden circles dissolved in the air. Such fools we are, she thought, crossing Victoria Street. For Heaven only knows why one lives it so, how one sees it so, making it up, building it round one, tumbling it, creating it every moment afresh; but the veriest frumps, the most dejected of miseries sitting on doorsteps (drink their downfall) do the same; can't be dealt with, she felt positive, by Acts of Parliament for that very reason: they love life. In people's eyes, in the swing, tramp, and trudge; in the bellow and the uproar; the carriages, motor cars, omnibuses, vans, sandwich men shuffling and swinging; brass bands; barrel organs; in the triumph and the jingle and the strange high singing of some aeroplane overhead was what she loved; life; London; this moment of June.'



- Viriginia Woolf, excerpt from Mrs Dalloway



4 commentaires:

rL a dit…

I'm beyond infatuated with your blog. I'm using some of the recommendations from your "Paris Guide" in a few weeks.

I picked up Mrs Dalloway a month ago on a rainy afternoon. It's a read for my trip! Inspiring, beautiful choice in quotations, thank you.

xo

yanqin a dit…

You've reminded me I need to pick up my Virginia Woolf again - Mrs Dalloway is perfect summer reading! I've always liked how Virginia Woolf seems to have a book for every season.

Stephanie a dit…

Have I told you how much I love your Cinematic Writing series? Because I do. A lot.

I wasn't too keen on reading Mrs. Dalloway since I didn't exactly enjoy To the Lighthouse, but this book truly is something spectacular.

Hanna a dit…

Such a nice excerpt. I now realised I should immediately read Mrs Dalloway.